Faith Ibrahim Talks Designing, Inspiration and Following Her Dreams




We got down to talk to Faith Ibrahim a few days ago.
Fashion Design Alumi of FIDM Design school, Los Angeles and  Model, she's gone a long way from being just a student to working at Los Angeles Fashion Week, with Converse, TLC and to top it all off, Tina Knowles herself! Here, she shares her thoughts on her dreams and how she started, where she is at now on her journey and most importantly, her new collection: Amanah Designs.

Check out her collection's website at Amanah Designs



Okoh Precious (Usocietie): Your full name, who you are and where you come from - anything else you'd like us to know about you, as well, like what you do.


Faith Ibrahim: My name is Faith Natalie Ibrahim. I am a fashion design student and the owner/ Creative Director of Amanah design.



How did you start to design, because I imagine it's not the kind of thing you realize you want to do as a child, or is it? This is your story - The story of Faith Ibrahim, the fashion design student. How did you get to Amanah designs?

I’ve always known that I wanted to be a designer, since I was little. I would always draw clothes and jewelry pieces in class since I was in primary school. I didn't think I’d end up going to school and even getting a degree but God came through for me. While in school, I decided to create a platform where people can view my work and hopefully request for any of my services and that’s when Amanah designs came to life. (Amanah means Faith, Confidence in Hebrew).





What exactly does it feel like to be a fashion designer? How would you explain what you did to people, based on your creative process, how ideas come to you and why you design?

I design because it makes me feel really good, it’s a hobby so I never really look at it as “Work”. Because it’s something I love to do, It’s easy for me to juggle school work and managing Amanah designs at the same time. 
Ideas come to me every minute of the day honestly. Fashion is all I think about, literally. I’m always looking for a new idea every single time.


           
How long does it take you to create a piece, and what's the process like?

depends on what garment I'm making. The easiest one can take me about 12 hours because I’d have to construct the pattern or drape it, and then sew up one or two fit samples before making the actual garment. Garments with more complicated designs and intricate detail can take me up to two weeks.



How do you get your inspiration?

I get inspiration from everywhere honestly, from what people on the streets are wearing, to bloggers and influencers on Instagram, to fashion shows on vogue and trend reports on WGSN.



What tickles your toes when it comes to design and inspiration from other cultures? I.e. excites you the most?


I guess it’s just the fact that I get to learn other people’s way of life. It’s a bit risky and challenging to portray other cultures in my designs though, because I’m always cautious to not portray them in any way that may be offensive to them so I have to do a huge amount of research. Overall, it’s exciting to get away from my comfort zone and learn about others. 



What would you say is the hardest thing about fashion designing?


The hardest, I’d say is computer pattern drafting, using the Gerber system to construct my patterns. I can do it, but it’s the one thing that requires the most studying and attention from me.


    The easiest?

    The easiest would be drawing, doing illustrations as well as technical flats.



    The one thing you think people don't get the most?                 

    Uh, I’m honestly not sure. Well, it’s probably the fact that there’s a huge process to making clothes. People just think that the fashion industry is “la la land” but there’s so much to it that they don't know about. It’s one of the hardest industries out there and people don't seem to understand that, which is why they underestimate our field so much and because of how underestimated it is, everybody thinks they can easily call themselves a designer or even a stylist when they don't know the ropes to it. 


      Do you ever get stuck or have designers block? And if so how do you get unstuck to get ideas flowing again?

      I do once in a while. Once it happens, I just have to take myself to vogue.com or WGSN and I easily snap out of it. 



      What would you say is the most exciting thing about where you are now as a designer?

      The most exciting thing would be the fact that I get to do what I’ve always wanted to do and I’m just steps away from my ultimate goal, by the grace of God.




      Finally, knowing your story, what would you tell someone trying to get to where you are right now with the same dreams?

      My advice would be to never compromise your dreams for anything. Trust your journey, and don't ever let anyone belittle your dreams. When I told some people that I was going to fashion school, a lot of them said and I quote “Why do you want to waste your life/ time?” But those same people are congratulating me now. So, I’d say to others, just be patient because people won't applaud you till they see that you have started making progress, and you can't make progress if you give up at the stage where you're not getting any recognition or support. God’s purpose and timing is THE best! And lastly, do as much research as you can. Try to learn all that you can about your field because there’s always so much to it.


      You can follow Faith on her instgram account @faithibrahim_

      Comments

      1. This is so awesome. Thank you so much for doing the interview.
        Faith's story is really inspiring, and it shows that she took a chance on herself and started working towards her dreams.
        The fact is that people will never understand what you're doing, and so they'll try to bring you down.
        But if you keep your eyes focused on what you want and you do all you need to do to get it, you'll make it happen, and those haters and doubters will be the ones coming to you for help.
        Make your dreams come true, so you can inspire others.

        ReplyDelete

      Post a Comment

      We would love to hear your comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      OUR UTOPIA - Our Journals #1

      Scientists Have Figured Out Why Shoelaces Untie Themselves!

      Alessia Cara - A Reminiscence